Monday 23 March 2015

Home Sweet Home - Leicester version

So it's our Easter break now, Marianna is stuck in Norwich still, but is soon to be venturing to Morocco for a surf trip. Totally rad man,
Whilst she's exploring the cultural edible treats of Morocco, I'll be sampling the old recipes of my childhood. Sunday lunches is what I've missed the most, and I've had three in the last three days. I was greeted home to a roast chicken, then we had roast lamb, and finally roast pork. Whatever people say, my Dad makes the best roast dinners!

Since I can't blog about being a student for a while, I thought I'd do a quick post about what we usually eat at home - when the rents are paying!
I obviously eat a lot more meat. We are one of those households that will eat meat every day of the week, except one, on which we'll have fish. We're also very seasonal, for example, salads we only really have when summer comes around, with some nice cheeses, cured meats and crusty bread, the rest of the year we have soup, soup, and more soup.
Anyway, I'll post a few pictures of my Dad's recent roast dinners. I'll ask Marianna to do a quick post too when she's back in Norway, it's interesting to see what each of us eat when we're not cooking together!

Roast Pork (with crackling!) and stuffing and roast veg, (We also had 'potato straw' which is just a simple fried potato cake type thing  - not on the picture because I was told I was getting in the way!)

Roast Lamb studded with garlic - I actually started this trend in roasts, I saw it on a recipe for 'Greek Lamb'. We had it with mashed potato yorkshire puddings (you can see how we make them below), veg and a red wine and cranberry jus.
To make the mashed potato containing yorkshire puddings, you simply make the mashed potato and pour the batter mix over them. Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes at 200 degrees. Ensure that the oil in the yorkshire tray is hot beforehand, by placing in the oven for 5-10 minutes before assembling.



No comments:

Post a Comment