Sunday 27 September 2015

Carrot + Coriander Soup

So I managed to get a cheap hand blender for a £10 to make soups with in the summer, and I have to say... I'm sightly impressed. Other than scratching the bottom of my stock pan off a little, it worked well!
I didn't have any ground coriander in, so it was a bit of a struggle, but the old mixed herbs never let me down!

Ingredients (for 3 meals):
750g of Carrots (or 3/4 of a kg bag) - £0.55
1 Potato - £0.10
1 Onion - £0.08
2 tsp of mixed herbs
Handful of fresh coriander
2 Vegetable Stock cubes - £0.20
Total price per meal: £0.31

1) Chop the onion roughly and add to the stock pot or large saucepan, with some butter. Sprinkle the mixed herbs over as they cook. Continue to stir so they don't stick, and cook for about 10 minutes.

2) Add the chopped carrot and potato to the pan, followed by enough stock to cover all the veg. I found that two stock cubes was enough (about 750ml to 1L), but feel free to use more if you think it's needed.

3) Bring to the boil then simmer for half an hour.

4) Use the hand blender (try not to blend the bottom of your pan like I did!) and blend until smooth, or the consistency that you prefer.

5) Garnish with a handful of coriander and serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment