Sunday 20 September 2015

Chicken and Mushroom Stew

So last year I invested in a slow cooker, which I used a couple of times, but never really got into. This year I'll try, I do prefer actually standing over the hobs and actually doing it in the moment, not waiting 6 hours for my dinner, but we'll see how it goes.
I got to the house and since the original recipe said it takes 7.5 hours, and it was already 2.30pm, I had to make some adjustments, because 9pm is pub time!!

Chicken thighs and legs are so much cheaper than breasts. if you can bear a bit of bone, try it. For stews, casseroles and tagines, they're great, probably go for the breast for curries etc.
The original recipe had wine and fresh basil in, which I omitted, because for me, I'd prefer to drink the wine rather than out it in my dinner! I can't afford to glug it into my meals, so I swapped it for veg stock and used a sprinkling of mixed herbs for the fresh basil. Not the same effect, but I haven't had chance to get fresh herbs yet (apart from coriander which I intend on using later on in the week!)

Ingredients - makes 3 meals
6 Chicken thighs (or legs/quarters) - £1.99
Chopped tomatoes - £0.31
2 Veg stock cubes - £0.20ish
2 Onions - £0.15
2 Cloves of Garlic - £0.06
Punnit of mushrooms - £0.59
To serve: Ciabbatta (or rice/potatoes/pasta etc) - £0.69
Cost per meal = £1.33

1) Brown off the chicken thighs in a pan - I just left it a couple of minutes then turned them over. Once that's done, move them into the slow cooker (if you don't have a slow cooker, put them in a stock pot or casserole dish.)

2) Fry the onions and garlic on a low heat for a little while, so they're soft, and add to the slow cooker/pot/casserole dish.

3) Pour the tin of chopped tomatoes over, and add the two stocks cubes (in water, I usually use a mug for each.)

4) Leave the slow cooker on a low setting for 7 hours or medium for 5 hours/ high for 4 hours. For a stock pot, I'd leave it on a low heat for maybe an hour and a half, and for a casserole dish that can be put in the oven, perhaps 2 hours at 180c.

5) Once those times are up, add the mushrooms, and cook for a further half an hour. Serve with ciabatta or if you prefer rice, pasta or potatoes.




So I have dinner for another two nights this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment